Claremont, CA 91711
Psychology & Politics
|University of Chicago
|University of California,
- Pitzer College, Professor, Fall 1982 - present
- Miyazaki International College, Miyazaki, Japan, Professor, January 1995-January 1997
- Paul Nitze School of Advanced International Studies, Johns Hopkins University, Hopkins-
- Nanjing Center for Chinese and American Studies, Nanjing University, Visiting Associate Professor, September 1990 through June 1992.
- Ankara University, Turkey, Fulbright Lecturer, Spring 1986.
- St. Joseph's University, Assistant Professor, Fall 1981-Spring 1982.
- Yale University, Teaching Assistant, 1974-1975.
Executive Director, International Society of Political Psychology, July 1998-Fall 2004
Editor, ISPPNews, Spring 1996-Fall 1998.
Webmaster, International Society of Political Psychology, 1995-Fall 2004.
Editorial Board, Political Psychology, September, 1986-1997.
Scholar in Residence, Pitzer College, Spring 1989.
The Claremont Graduate School, Psychology Faculty, 1988-present.
Faculty Athletic Representative (FAR), SCIAC, NCAA 1998-present.
Contemporary Political Psychology
Introduction to Politics
Men & Masculinity
U.S. Electoral System
Power and Participation
The Practice of Democracy
Ideologies, Beliefs & Public Opinion
U.S. Foreign Policy: Central America
U.S. Foreign Policy: Decision-Making
U.S. Foreign Policy: The US as a hemispheric power
U.S. Foreign Policy: The US as a global power
Congress and the President
Anarchy and the Internet
Contemporary Political Theory
Theory & Practice of Anarchy
Comparative Political Issues
International Social Problems
Living Emma Goldman's Life
- Ideology and Generations: An Intergenerational Restudy of Political Ideology.
- Dissertation Supervisor, Robert E. Lane.
- "Anarchist Culture on the Cusp of the 20th Century". in Without Borders or Limits: An
- Interdisciplinary Approach to Anarchist Studies. Edited by Jorell A. Meleéndez Badillo and Nathan J. Jun. Newcastle upon Tyne: 2013, pp. 107-122
- "Alchemy in Clarens: Kropotkin and Reclus, 1877-1881." New Perspectives on Anarchism.
- eds., Nathan Jun, Sol Neely, and Shane Wahl, Lexington Press, 2010.
- Review of Dreams of Peace and Freedom: Utopian Moments in the Twentieth Century
- by Jay Winter. Peace Review, v. 20, #2. Summer 2008.
- "Herbert Read's Aesthetic Politics: Art and Anarchy," in Re-Reading Read: New Views of
- Herbert Read, Michael Paraskos, ed., London: Freedom Press, 2007.
- "Occupy, Resist, and Produce: Workers Take Control in Argentina,"
- Divergences, Vol. 1, No. 4 November 2006.
- Review of Emma Goldman: An Exceedingly Dangerous Woman, Mel Bucklin, Director,
- American Historical Review, October 2004, pp. 1248-49.
- Review of Citizens and Politics, J. Kuklinski, ed., Perspectives on
- Politics, 2003, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 188-189.
- "Political Psychology: Origins and Development." What is Political Psychology?
- Kristen Monroe, editor. London: Lawrence Erlbaum, 2002.
- "Guatemalan Guerrilla War," Encyclopedia of North American History, J.C.
- Super, ed. New York: Marshall Cavendish Corp., 1999.
- Book Review of Sandra Whitworth's Feminism and International
- Relations, Political Psychology, vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 424-424, June 1998.
- "The Content-Based Approach to Internet Literacy," written with J. Karet, Helping to
- Fulfill the Promise of Technology [CD-ROM] Available from Microsoft's Higher Education Group, 1997.
- "The Content-Based Approach to Internet Literacy", written with Julia Karet, in Collaboration
- via the Virtual Orient Express, edited by S. Mak, F. Castro, and J. Bacon-Shone. Hong Kong: Social Sciences Research Center, The University of Hong Kong, 1996.
- "Primary Elections", Survey of Social Science: Government and
- Politics, F.N. Magill, ed., pp. 1603-1608, Salem Press, 1995.
- "Escuchando Voces: El Mito de los Juicios de Genero", Psicologia
- Politica, 10, Mayo 1995, pp. 63-86.
- Political Reasoning and Cognition: A Piagetian View, Duke University Press, 1989;
- Shawn Rosenberg and Stephen Chilton, co-authors.
- "A Critic's Defense of the Criticized", Political Psychology, vol. 9, no. 2,
- June 1988.
- "Comments on 'Cognitive Functioning and Socio-Political
- Ideology'", Political Psychology, vol. 7, no. 1, 1986.
- "Generations and the Expression of Symbolic Racism", Political Psychology, vol. 6, no. 1,
- "Kissinger: A Psychohistory", in Henry Kissinger: His Personality and
- Policies, Dan Caldwell, ed., Duke University Press, 1983.
- Book Review of Bob Altemeyer, Right-Wing Authoritarianism, American Political
- Science Review, vol. 76, n. 3, pp. 737-4, 1982.
- "Kissinger: A Psychohistory", in The New Psychohistory, Lloyd de Mause, ed., 1975.
- "Kissinger: A Psychohistory", History of Childhood Quarterly: The Journal of
- Psychohistory, vol. 2, no.3, 1975.
RECENT PAPERS AND PANELS
- "Anarchist Culture on the Cusp of the 20th Century", paper presented at the North American
- Anarchist Studies Network Conference San Juan, Puerto Rico - January 07-08, 2012.
- "Anarchist Culture on the Cusp of the 20th Century", invited speaker at the Sterling and
- Francine Clark Art Institute Colloquium: Pissarro's Politics in Context: Anarchism and the Arts, 1849-1900", September 9-10, 2011.
- "Alchemy in Clarens: Kropotkin and Reclus, 1877-1881," Humanity and the Earth/L'Homme
- et la Terre: the legacy of Elisée Reclus (1830-1905), October 28-30, 2006, Loyola University, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.
- "Herbert Read's Aesthetic Politics: Art and Anarchy," invited paper presented at
- The Herbert Read Conference, Tate Britain, June 2004.
- Chair, Erik Erikson Centennial Symposium, Twenty-Fifth Annual Meeting of the International
- Society of Political Psychology, Berlin, Germany, July 16-19, 2002.
- Invited Address: "Can We Resist Using the Internet? Do we have a choice?" UNESCO, Paris
- February 28-March 4, 2002, Post-Development Conference.
- Opening Keynote Address, "Still Hearing Voices: The Persistent Myth of Gendered Judgment."
- VIIIth Conference, International Society For Justice Research, College of Management, Rishon LeZion, Israel, September 18-21, 2000.
- Roundtable: "The ISPP University of the Internet: Possibilities and Applications," Twenty-Third
- Annual Meeting of the International Society of Political Psychology, Seattle Washington, July 1-4, 2000.
- Roundtable: "Professional Issues in Poltical Psychology," Twenty-Second Annual
- Meeting of the International Society of Political Psychology, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, July 18-21, 1999.
- Roundtable: "Raising the Profile of Political Psychology Through Media
- Relations," Twenty-Second Annual Meeting of the International Society of Political Psychology, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, July 18-21, 1999.
- Invited Speaker, Feminist Theory and The Women's Movement, Dubrovnik,
- Croatia,April 13-18, 1999.
- Chair, panel on "Public Opinion and Political Action" at the Twentieth First
- Annual Scientific Meeting of the International Society of Political Psychology, Montreal, Canada, July 12-15, 1998.
- Discussant, panel on "Emotions and Politics" at the Twentieth First Annual
- Scientific Meeting of the International Society of Political Psychology, Montreal, Canada, July 12-15, 1998.
- The Electronic Syllabus: Word to Web, workshop conducted at the Twentieth
- Annual Scientific Meeting of the International Society of Political Psychology, Krakow, Poland, July 21 - July 24, 1997.
- "The Content-Based Approach to Internet Literacy", written with Julia Karet, paper presented
- at APWeb96: The Asia-Pacific World Wide Web Conference, August 23, 1996 - Beijing;The Second Hong Kong Web Symposium, August 27-28,1996 - Hong Kong.
- "Political Psychology and the Internet", workshop conducted at the Nineteenth Annual
- Scientific Meeting of the International Society of Political Psychology, Vancouver, Canada, June 30 - July 3, 1996.
- Discussant, panel on "Framing the Debate: US Policy", Nineteenth Annual Scientific
- Meeting of the International Society of Political Psychology, Vancouver, Canada, June 30 - July 3, 1996.
- "Social Dominance Theory: Are The Genes Too Tight?", paper presented at the Eighteenth
- Annual Scientific Meeting of the International Society of Political Psychology, Washington D.C., July 4-8, 1995.
- "Hearing Voices: The Myth of Gendered Judgment", paper presented at the International
- Society of Political Psychology annual meeting, Santiago de Compastela, Spain, July 1994.
- Discussant, panel on "How We View Each Other: Gender Perceptions and Misperceptions,"
- at the International Society of Political Psychology annual meeting, Santiago de Compastela, Spain, July 1994.
- Participant,"Teaching Political Psychology", Roundtable discussion at the Eleventh
- Annual Scientific Meeting of the International Society of Political Psychology, Secaucus, NJ, 1988.
- Anarchy Archives: The goal of this project is to collect at one World Wide Web site the complete
- works of the classic anarchist theorists. In addition, graphics and periodicals from the late 18th century through the Spanish Civil War are included. The archive also includes comprehensive bibliographies and a growing collection of commentaries and histories covering anarchist theory and movements world wide.
- Bhutan, February 2013 - June 2013
- Vietnam, August 2004 - June 2005
- Japan, January 1995 - January 1997
- China, September 1990 - July 1992
- Turkey, January 1986 - July 1986
- Sierra Leone, June 1979 - June 1981
- Afghanistan, November 1976 - April 1979
- Latin America, between 1971 and 1984 I spent roughly two years mostly in Mexico and
- Central America in increments between three weeks and three months.
- Spain, May 1973 - August 1973